In Psalm 42 the Psalmist, who himself is in exile, cries out:
“As a deer pants for flowing streams, so pants my soul for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When shall I come and appear before God?”
One of the great and grave costs of the current situation is our inability to gather for worship. We too cry out, “When shall I come and appear before God?” The good news is that while we can no longer gather ‘in person’ to worship, we can gather ‘on line’ (and safely ‘in person’) for worship
Here is how we shall proceed ON SUNDAYS for the next few weeks.
- First, we will Live Stream the service at our regular time with a minimal team (musicians, Booth person, clergy, and one lay assistant). NO ONE ELSE WILL BE ABLE TO JOIN US IN PERSON!
- Our communication team will strive to make access to the stream as easy as possible (especially for those like me who are tech-challenged!).
- Simply go to our web site (christtheredeemer.org) and you will be able to ‘click on’ the latest recording of the service. They will be streamed “live” from Facebook and posted on our website.
- Second, as Anglicans, the reception of the sacrament is the apex of our worship. Quite literally, we need to receive the tangible grace of God to be nourished and sustained as gracious Sons and Daughters of God. Here is how we will receive the Sacrament on Sunday and I trust, thereafter).
- We will have two ‘Stations’ for Communion, one in Norfolk (the parking lot of Knox), the other in Virginia Beach (the home of the Beers).
- One of the clergy and a lay Assistant will be present at each location to pray with you and your family and to distribute the bread (our bishop has asked us not to communicate in both kinds during the duration of the pandemic). Simply stay in your car and we will come to you.
- As we anticipate more people to come to our Norfolk Station (and given we will already be present at Knox), the clergy and assistant will be present at the Station from 11:30 am – 1:00pm.
- As it will take some time to travel to Virginia Beach, the Beers’ Station will be manned from 12:00 – 1:00pm.
What about our gatherings during the week?
- Our Leadership Council met on Monday night and prayerfully discerned that our Home Groups (and study groups) should NOT meet officially for the next two weeks (March 18-April 1).
- Our Home/Study group leaders met last night on Zoom and discussed ways that we can stay connected (even physically connected) safely and helpfully in the days and weeks ahead. We are committed to ‘be the church’ for and with one another.
Can I also make an appeal for all of us to maintain- as we are able- our financial commitments to the church?
- Again, our communication team will make access to our PayPal account as accessible as possible (https://christtheredeemer.org/home/giving/). For those who wish to mail your tithe, please use our P.O. Box 9632, Norfolk, VA 23505 address.
- The Leadership Council is crafting ways we can support one another financially (as well as physically and spiritually) in the days ahead. Once those ‘ways’ as clear, we will let you know. If you have a financial need in the meantime, please do not hesitate to make it known (to me, or to any of the Council members).
Please be diligent in checking the web site for the latest information. We will endeavor to communicate as clearly and as frequently as needed.
May God’s peace and grace be with us all.