There are a number of things to bring to your attention this week.
First, I ask you to both rejoice and weep with some of our members:
• Gerry Massie mourns the death of his father – John A. Massie. John died on May 30 from prostate cancer. Gerry wrote me a wonderful email in tribute to his father and knows that he ‘does not mourn as those who are without hope’ – but he still mourns the loss. Please remember Gerry in your prayers.
• Sharon and Jonathan (and Gideon) Aumen welcomed Luka into the world and into their family on Sunday June 8. Let us rejoice with the Aumen’s over this wondrous gift of God. If you would like to help provide a meal for the new parents please contact Jennifer Brown.
Second, we celebrate Compassion Sunday this week, June 15. Come to worship prepared to celebrate the gift of Compassion and how it is helping us connect in a meaningful way with our brothers and sisters in Rwanda. If you have not yet had the opportunity to sponsor a child, be in prayer this week seeking the Lord’s direction.
Third, our mission trip to Rwanda is fast approaching (July 22- August 1). There are multiple ways that you can participate in the trip:
• Sponsor a child in Rwanda through Compassion this Sunday
• Write a greeting and submit a photo for our ‘Scapbook’ that will be taken to our sister parish
• Help with our ‘Rwandan Yard Sale’ scheduled for July 5! (Donate some items for sale; help set up and ‘man’ the tables on the day)
• Commit to pray for the 8 who are going on behalf of the church.
Fourth, the Anglican Church in North America (ACNA) – holds its triennial Assembly in Latrobe, PA June 24-28. Janis and I are delegates from our Network this year. The most important event associated with the Assembly will take place prior to it however, as the bishops of the ACNA gather in convocation next week to prayerfully discern the next Archbishop for the Church. Please be in prayer for this convocation and for the Assembly.
Fifth, allow me to ask you to set your calendars for a very special weekend in August – the 15th – 17th. Bishop Steve Breedlove will be with us that weekend for his first ‘Parish Visit’ and will culminate the weekend with the Ordination to the Diaconate of Niles Gomez at our service on Sunday August 17. It promises to be a great celebration.
Looking forward to worshiping with you on Sunday.
Rector of Christ the Redeemer Anglican Church