In this week’s update you will find information on the following (more details on each of these below):
- Virtual Holy Week Schedule
- On Worshipping at Home
- Bulletin Insert
- Financial Giving Update
Virtual Holy Week Schedule
We will be celebrating Holy Week virtually as a community this year. Our Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and Easter services will be conducted on our Live+Stream. The schedule for services is:
- Maundy Thursday: 7:00-8:15pm (Holy Communion, in home)
- Good Friday: 6:00-7:30pm
- Easter Sunday: 10:15-11:30am (Holy Communion, in home)
On Worshipping at Home
Some suggestions from our clergy for making the most of Holy Week:
- Create a “Sacred Worship Space” to participate in services
- Have a small table, covered with a small white cloth on which the plate with the sacrament will rest.
- Set up two candles (if desired) on the table and be ready to light and snuff them as appropriate.
- Maundy Thursday
- Participate in your own foot washing: have a basin ready with water, towels, and a washcloth.
- Join us in the “stripping of the altar”: as the Chancel is stripped, snuff your candles, remove the candle stands, the plate, and the cloth; consider turning off the lights and ending in darkness.
- Reflect and pray with us during the Tenebrae service immediately following the Maundy Thursday celebration:
- on the hour (every hour between 9pm-midnight) there will be a 15 minute segment of readings and prayer, followed by 45 minutes of silence for personal prayer
- Good Friday
- Gather in your “Sacred Space” with your Bibles open to John 18 (or click link for web version).
- If you have a BCP, turn to p. 565 and follow along (note: you may wish to follow the Solemn Collects from your prayer book – p.566ff as these will not be projected on the Live+Stream)
- a downloadable copy of the BCP can be found here on the ACNA website
- Easter Sunday
- We will begin our service in “darkness” and join Mary as she goes to the tomb, rejoicing with her at the Angel’s news (symbolized by singing Hear the Bells Ringing).
- Join in “dressing the Chancel” (return all the things stripped from your table on Maundy Thursday to their rightful place – cloth, plate, sacrament, candles) during the singing of Christ is Risen Today.
- Consider adding a vase of flowers to enhance the table (as we would normally do by flowering the large cross in the sanctuary)
- Create a video of you/your family passing the peace with this Easter greeting: “Peace from the [last name] family! Christ is risen indeed!“
- email video to Lea Hanna at firstname.lastname@example.org by 12pm on Good Friday to have it included in our Easter service
Below is the Prayers of the People and Daily Office section of our bulletin insert for Easter Sunday. We encourage you to be in prayer for those listed and participate in the Daily Office.
***If you have any new or updated prayer requests, please email email@example.com or contact Brian+ or David+ directly***
Financial Giving Update
We have had several people ask about fees associated with PayPal and if there is a no fee way to give – there is! You can go through your bank’s “Bill Pay” system and send a payment directly to CtR, either automatically reoccurring or as a one time payment. The church’s phone number is (757) 226-8700 (this information might be required to set up the “bill pay”). If you have any further, or more personalized questions, please feel free to email our Treasurer, Janie Atwood, at firstname.lastname@example.org. As always, you may mail a check to Christ the Redeemer Anglican Church, P.O. Box 9632, Norfolk, VA 23505 or give through our direct PayPal link.
“Almighty God, who through your only-begotten Son Jesus Christ overcame death and opened to us the gate of everlasting life: Grant that we, who celebrate with joy the day of the Lord’s resurrection, may, by your life-giving Spirit be delivered from sin and raised from death; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.”
– Collect for Easter Sunday (BCP 2019)